2017 Beta Induction Address

"Good evening new and returning betas, parents, teachers and friends,

If you don't know of me already I'm Jackie Rivera. Itis a great privilege and honor to serve as your 2017-2018 Beta Club president here at Rock Hill High School. I am a senior, and this is my 3rd year in this successful organization. No words can explain how overjoyed I am to stand here and witness the event of 152 new members being inducted. Since the moment I decided to join, my life did a 180-degree rotation. I have met a ton of kind-hearted people, provided a positive effect on the community, and grown as a leader and human being. Over the course of my serving with Beta, I have collected different character pieces of a puzzle that I would like to share with you tonight. Leadership is not so much about technique or methods as it is about opening your heart. Leadership is about inspiring yourself and others. Great leadership is not a formula or a program; it is a human activity that comes from the heart and considers the hearts of others. It is an attitude, not a routine. I hope our current and new Betas become that kind of leader that others follow voluntarily, even when they don't hold a title or officer position.     
              
I would like to share a few words of advice tonight. When you start signing up for events and serving our community, don't only think about getting your hours done or your requirements. Think instead about helping others extract the greatness they already have inside them because no joy can equal the joy of serving others. My fellow Betas, congratulations to you all on your hard work and achievement. Use your talents and abilities to serve others well and feel proud of how far you've come. I will leave you with a phrase my mother repeats to my siblings and me daily, 'Do things for people not because of who they are or what they do in return but because of who you are.' Let that sink in, Betas. Once again, congratulations! I look forward to serving with you during the rest of the school year. Thank You!"





Comments

Popular Posts